The department had its origin in the year 2005 .The department and the faculty
gradually grew to the existing number. Regular camps are conducted in rural areas
to detect subclinical respiratory disorders early in the disease. The department
actively follows RNTCP-DOTS and is a recognized centre for DOTS therapy with a
health educator working full time. The department tries to implement various
modern diagnostic methods in par with international standards in the postgraduate as well as undergraduate curriculum.
- Separate Outpatient rooms for male and female patients
- Inpatient male and female ward with isolation for sputum positive tuberculosis cases. The total beds available are 30
- Respiratory ICU with Invasive and Non-invasive ventilators
- Demonstration room/seminar room
- Department library with an extensive collection of literature.
- Department museum with specimens and radiographs
- DOTS centre with health educator, DOTS provider and Social workers
- Clinical laboratory with microscope for sputum evaluation
- Video Bronchoscopy suite with a well trained staff
- Portable ultrasonic and jet nebulisers are also available in the outpatient unit along with the ward nebulisers.
- Computerised spirometer with a printer, for evaluation of lung function is also available.
- State of art Sleep lab with cardiopulmonary and neurological monitoring.
- Facilities for pleural biopsy, intercostal drainage and thoracentesis are also available.
- Rooms for professors, associate and assistant professors
- Postgraduate common room
- Lobbies for X-Rays and CT-Scan reading are also available
The postgraduate programme was started in 2009. The postgraduates take part in case discussions, seminars, interdepartmental discussions and clinical society meetings. They take part in active learning and teaching programmes with modern audio-visual aids. There are regular case presentations, journal clubs, symposiums and radiological discussions. The post graduates actively follow the guidelines of RNTCP-DOTS and are deputed for various camps to get a community perspective of the disease. The postgraduates take part in the undergraduate classes in order to tune them academically and expose them to various aspects of teaching. Dissertation topics are chosen and regular review is made to ensure quality of the same. Regular journal presentations from international journals are conducted in order to enlighten them on the art of paper presentation. The post graduates are regularly exposed to national and international conferences along with the CMEs and workshops to hone their skills.Various special programmes like asthma camp, smoking cessation camps are also done in order to expose them to various aspects of Pulmonary Medicine.