The Dept. was founded in 2003 with goal of offering undergraduate study in microbiology. Since its inception it is engaged in Diagnostic, teaching and research. The departmental occupies one wing of ground floor in SBMC and 1500 sqft. in central lab.
- Central Diagnostic Lab., which offers diagnostic services in various sections such as Bacteriology, Virology, Mycology, Serology, Immunology & Parasitology.
- Conventional methods to newer technology testing are done in various sections.
- The Dept. has fantastic Museum filled with unique collection.
- The Dept., library has 200 books and latest journals for undergraduates and post graduates.
- The undergraduate practical laboratory is well equipped.
- The postgraduate laboratory is well equipped with latest equipment’s.
- The Research laboratory has hitech instruments necessary for research work.
- The Demonstration cum seminar room has audio-visual aids for presentation Sessions.
- Large, well-ventilated separate rooms are available for faculties.
- The Department was upgraded as post graduate Dept. in 2009.
- The Dept. has good number of publication in national and international Journals.
The under graduates learn medical microbiology for period of 18 months. The curriculum includes General microbiology, Immunology, Systematic bacteriology, Virology, Mycology, Bacteriology & Applied Microbiology. The undergraduate students have hands on practices in various techniques Followed in diagnostics work.
They write eight internal assessment tests and two model practicals before appearing for university examinations. Prize examination is conducted for every batch for motivating their interest in Microbiology. Seminars are conducted for the students for increasing the knowledge and communication skills.
Postgraduate course was established in 2009 with a uptake three postgraduates every year. The period of course is three years. They have regular discussions, seminars and journal clubs. They do research projects and along with one dissertation work. Senior professors guide them. They learn the conventional diagnostic procedures to level of hi-tech new technologies.